Saturday, July 7, 2012

Favorite nail and hand care products

Hello everyone!  I hope you enjoyed my first post.

As many of you know, I work in the healthcare field.  That means that I am washing my hands or using alcohol based hand sanitizer at least 30 times a day, if not more.  All that washing and alcohol can make skin and nails very dry. So, how do I keep my hands and nails looking beautiful?  I have several tips to share with everyone.  My first secret to getting strong nails is.....


Thats right, prenatal vitamins. If you want to look healthy, you actually have to BE healthy.  I have been taking prenatal vitamins for the past 3-4 months, and they make my nails (and hair) grow faster, longer, and stronger. 


My second secret for healthy nails and healthy cuticles is J.R. Watkins hand and cuticle salve.  I love this stuff.  I put it on constantly. It is super greasy and super moisturizing. It stays on your skin much longer than regular old hand lotion. I feel like it creates a barrier between my skin and those awful hand sanitizers I am constantly using, which means it keeps my hands from becoming a chapped mess. I also put it on my feet at night before I go to bed.  It is also all natural, which I love.  You can buy it online here J.R. Watkins Apothecary.  I don't buy mine online because I don't want to pay shipping and handling, so every few months I make my boyfriend drive an hour to take me to the nearest Cracker Barrel so that I can stock up. They sell all kinds of cool stuff in their little shops, including this. 


My third secret is proper cuticle care. Never cut your cuticles, ever! When my cuticles are looking a little overgrown, I just apply a little dab of Sally Hansen Cuticle Remover and let them sit for a few min. This product is nice because the tip is actually angled, and can also work as a cuticle pusher to push them back after they have been softened up a little.  Even when I go to the nail salon, I never let them cut my cuticles with a cuticle nipper. Thats how you get nail infections!


My last secret to getting healthy nails is using the proper nail file. Generally I keep my nails on the fairly short side because of my job.  Long nails means lots of extra places for bacteria to get stuck.  When my nails get too long, I cut them with nail clippers, then I file them with this Revlon crystal nail file.  Crystal nail files are supposed to reduce splitting and pealing of nails by providing a smoother edge than metal or emery board files. They are also more hygenic, as they are not porous and therefore do not contain all those little spaces for bacteria and fungus to get trapped.  Crystal nail files also generally last much longer than other types of nail files, so although they may cost more upfront, you wont need another file for at least a year.

What do you think of my nail care routine? Do you have any products you love to use? What are your secrets to healthy nails and hands? Tell me in the comments!

No comments: