Thursday, July 12, 2012

Blueberry Jam nail

Today I went to my parents house to make jam with my mom. We made blueberry and raspberry flavors. It looks delicious and I can't wait to eat it tomorrow for breakfast.  My manicure was inspired by our blueberry jam. Enjoy! 

                                                   
Blueberries on the vine!

For this manicure I used NYC Quick Dry in Uptown as the base color on both thumbs.
The next part is the secret to doing this manicure. Instead of nail polish for the design, I actually used acrylic paint. Thats right, regular acrylic paint like you can buy in the craft store. It is safe and non-toxic. If you mess up, just wash your hands with soap and water and it comes right off! Cool right? It is actually much more opaque than regular nail polish so you only have to do one coat. It is also a lot more firm, so it will not run while you use it .

My cheepo acrylic paints that I bought at the craft store for $4

I started off by making the dark blue dots for the blueberries. I used the end of the paintbrush without bristles, and just dipped it in the darker blue paint then pushed it against the nail with different pressures to make circles of different sizes. I used the paintbrush end because my dotting tool didn't make the circles as big as I wanted them. Next, I made a smaller light blue dot inside each darker blue one. 


After that, I painted the vines. I used the darker brown paint and put some accents in with the lighter paint. Then, I used green to paint some leaves.



I used the blueberry thumb as an accent nail, and painted the other nails with Sur La Pointe Des Pedis Tip Toe polish in Navy. I got this in Old Navy last year. I think it is from the Sara Jessica Parker line. It looks black in the pictures but it is actually a really beautiful navy color. It also has great application with full coverage color in just one coat. 


I also painted my moms nails for her!


The color is Revlon Teak Rose. As usual, I used Revlon Quick Dry top and base coat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I have learned a lot from it already. I haven't done my nails in a long time cause I always mess up. I bought the Revlon quick dry base and top coat and tried it today. it really did work well. I will let you know,if the polish lasts longer.

by the way, your jam looks yummy.

Anonymous said...

Wow, cool! I like the design. Fancy!